4-5 cups Basmati rice
500 grams chicken (Halal!)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large red onion (thinly sliced)
1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
2-3 finely chopped green chillies
1 tsp cloves
2-3 small cinnamon sticks
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp garam masala powder
3 tsp red chilli powder
1 ½ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp salt
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
1) Wash the rice and soak with cold water for 30-45 minutes
2) Wash the chicken and cut into medium sized pieces.
3) Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the garlic, chillies and onion until golden brown.
4) Add the cloves and cinnamon stick and cook for another 3-4 mins.
5) Add the chicken along with the dry spices (coriander, garam masala, red chilli and turmeric), salt and ½ pint of boiling water. Leave to cook.
6) Put the rice on to cook on a high heat until the water boils, then turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
7) Remove from the heat and drain off the excess water from the rice. When the chicken is almost cooked, add the rice ensuring there is still some water left in the pan.
8) Leave to cook on a low-medium heat until all there is no water left and the rice is fully cooked. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.